The Port of Lake Charles is seeking candidates for the position of Port Facility Maintenance Specialist 1, 2 or 3. The selected candidates will perform basic to advanced level duties in the repair and maintenance of the railroad, heavy mobile equipment, cranes, vehicles, electrical systems, mechanical maintenance and facilities and grounds. Placement and salary will depend upon experience. This is a full-time Civil Service position, which includes benefits. No test is required. Minimum hire rate is $17.18 per hour.
Preferred qualifications include a wide variety of knowledge and experience such as:
- Typical duties for railroad consist of but are not limited to the following: Inspecting railroad tracks; Repair and set railroad switches; Clean, lubricate and adjust railroad switches; Replace railroad crossties; Raise, tamp, and align railroad tracks; Operate equipment in the performance of track maintenance and grass cutting; Make minor repairs to equipment.
- Typical duties for heavy equipment mechanic consist of but are not limited to the following: Repair and maintenance of the Port’s heavy mobile equipment and fleet vehicles including; electrical, drive train, engines, hydraulics, and computer controlled systems, tire replacement, cutting and welding, and mower and weed eater maintenance.
- Typical duties for electrical maintenance consist of but are not limited to the following: Diagnose malfunctioning systems and equipment using test equipment and hand tools; Identify hazards, defects and needed repairs to electrical systems, equipment and components; Install, repair and maintain motors, transformers, motor starters, lights, circuits and wiring in compliance with electrical codes and standards; Perform basic mechanical repairs outside of the electrical trade and read blue prints and ladder logic.
- Typical duties for mechanical maintenance consist of but are not limited to the following: Operate equipment, tools and machinery as part of daily routine activities; Perform routine preventative maintenance; Provide maintenance needs on shift work, call outs and weekends; Perform maintenance on bearings, pumps, conveyors, gearboxes; Perform shaft and drive component alignment; Read blueprints and perform layout and fabrication; Welding; Perform visual inspections; Diagnose equipment problems; Read and understanding repair manuals.
- Typical duties facilities and grounds consist of but are not limited to the following: Operate equipment, tools and machinery as part of daily routine activities; Perform routine duties in the cleaning, repair and maintenance of office buildings, properties, facilities, docks, railroads, transit sheds, grounds and appliances; Operate tractors; Cut grass; Trim; Weed; Spray herbicide at all Port grounds; Performs tasks, such as shoveling, carpentry, welding, plumbing, electrical, railroad work and general upkeep of the buildings and grounds.
A valid driver’s license, good driving record, valid TWIC or ability to obtain TWIC are required. Other preferred qualifications include the possession of ASE Certification, CDL and experience with diesel engine equipment.
Performance of duties for this position requires manual physical labor such as standing, stooping, bending, walking, pushing, pulling, climbing, and lifting 30 pounds or more, work outdoors in all types of weather; and work around waterfront.
Application for the position must be made online following the instructions below. Civil Service will provide this agency with a list of qualified candidates once the applications have been collected.
Log on to https://jobs.civilservice.louisiana.gov On the left of the page, click on, “Search Jobs: In the Search Box, type in Lake Charles Harbor. Click on the title for which you wish to apply. Click on the “Apply” tab at the top right and follow instructions.
It is strongly recommended that you complete the application thoroughly and include all previous work experience. This could make a difference in the level at which you may be hired, as well as the salary.
Closing date is December 10, 2023.
Job Description – Railroad Maintenance
Job Description – Port Facility Maint. Spec. 3 (BT #1 Maint.)
Job Description – Port Facility Maint. Spec. 3 (Grounds Maint.)